Types of Applicants

When you’re putting together your application for medical school, consider what type of applicant you are and what specific requirements you need to submit.

U.S. Applicants

U.S. applicants need to fulfill these basic requirements for an application to be considered: completion of pre-requisite courses, a personal statement, a curriculum vitae/resume listing extracurricular and/or volunteer activities, official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and an MCAT score. Although an MCAT score is recommended, it is not required.

International Applicants

Applicants who have completed their undergraduate studies in countries having an educational system outside from that of the United States will be evaluated on their merits and will be expected to have completed a pre-medical curriculum comparable to the one offered in the U.S. All required documents, if originally in a foreign language, must be accompanied by a notarized English translation. All transcripts documenting postsecondary course work completed in institutions outside the United States must also be evaluated by an approved international credential evaluation service.

Basic Sciences Transfer Applicants

Students who have completed some medical school courses would be considered this applicant. Basic Sciences transfer applicants need to submit a letter from their previous medical school’s Dean of Students to prove they’re in good standing.

Clinical Sciences Transfer Applicants

Students who have already completed clinical rotations at a different institution would be considered this applicant. Like Basic Sciences transfer applicants, a Dean’s letter is required but Clinical Sciences transfer applicants must also pass the USMLE Step 1 on their first attempt and have to submit clinical evaluations as well.

International Clinical Sciences Transfer Applicants

In addition to Clinical Sciences transfer requirements described above, international Clinical Sciences transfers need a B-1 visa to participate in clinical rotations. Students can apply for one at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate and by contacting our clinical team for an immigration packet.